Please read carefully!
1. Payment is to be made by check or cash in the first week of the month - the number of lessons per month equal the number of your lesson days in the month (except December/January, at spring break, in August, and other times of which I will inform you prior to payment for that month). A receipt will be provided, if requested.
There will be a returned check charge of $50.00 for bounced checks, and cash only will be accepted after a check has bounced. If paying by cash, please use nothing larger than a $50.00 bill.
If you do not pay in the first week of the month in person (ie. if the student misses that lesson or payment was left at home), the payment must be received by mail or dropped off before the 2nd week of lessons to avoid a late charge of $5.00 per week.
2. I will make up any lesson missed on my part. NO REFUNDS OR CREDITS WILL BE ISSUED. Make-ups for lessons missed by the student can be scheduled WITHIN THE MONTH of the absence and only for school activities (with 48 hour notice) or illness (by 10:00 the day of the lesson). You can leave a message on my phone machine, which has a date and time stamp. Any call to miss a lesson after the 48 hour deadline for school activities, or after 10:00 on the day of the lesson for illness will be charged and not made up. Please do not bring your child if he/she is sick (running a fever anytime during the day of the lesson, vomiting, diarrhea, cough).
LESSONS MISSED FOR ANY OTHER REASON OR WITHOUT PROPER NOTICE WILL BE UNEXCUSED AND CHARGED (this includes: forgetting the lesson, bad traffic, no practice, forgetting the cello/books/bow, fingernails too long.....).
If you are late, the lesson will run to its normal end-time. No extension of time will be possible.
3. Students should arrive 5 minutes prior to the lesson start with all equipment and books. Use this time to unpack and tune quietly. The lesson should be well - practiced and prepared - 5 days a week of a minimum time that equals the lesson length each of those days (unless we discuss otherwise at the lesson). If the student is not prepared to take a lesson, I reserve the right not to teach the lesson, and the lesson will be forfeit and charged. When, on that rare occassion, when circumstances have interfered in preparation, please let me know. This should NOT happen often!!
4. If adequate preparation does not appear to be taking place, as judged by the progress of the student, that student will be put on a month-long probation. At the end of that time, we will re-evaluate the continuance of that student in the studio.
5. I highly encourage participation in school ensembles, youth orchestras and chamber groups. Please keep me informed of all musical activities. I like to brag about my students!!!
6. Our goal in lessons is to learn as much as possible aobut this fine instrument and music. In following these procedures, it allows us the freedom and scope to explore this most enjoyable art. I look forward to our time together!!
7. Finally, remember!!!! Communication is the key in any successful, so PLEASE let me know if there is any problem with practicing, lessons, or anything that would interfere with a positive learning environment!!
"Art is a higher type of knowledge than experience" - Aristotle
THERE'S ALWAYS ROOM FOR
CELLO........ Two new opportunities for
"celloing" are happening this year. The first is the "Cello
Club" which will meet on one Thursday evening a month from 7:00-8:15. This will be a very informal
gathering at my house, where students can play what they are working on (scales,
etudes, pieces), discuss cello problems with other students (how to find time to
practice, how to solve a technical problem, etc) and play some ensemble
repertoire. And, of course, have snacks!! The dates for Cello Club are as
follows: November 4
THERE'S ALWAYS ROOM FOR CELLO........
Two new opportunities for "celloing" are happening this year. The first is the "Cello Club" which will meet on one Thursday evening a month from 7:00-8:15.
This will be a very informal gathering at my house, where students can play what they are working on (scales, etudes, pieces), discuss cello problems with other students (how to find time to practice, how to solve a technical problem, etc) and play some ensemble repertoire. And, of course, have snacks!! The dates for Cello Club are as follows:
November 4, December 2, February 3, March 3, April 7, May 5
The second new addition is the "Saturday Morning Matinee" which will be an opportunity for students to play their repertoire pieces in a slightly more formal setting. There will be a limited number of students asked to play on these performances, limiting the time to one hour and this will take place on three Saturday mornings at 10:00 at my house.
The dates for this are:
November 13, February 12, May 14
The end of the year recital will be on Thursday evening, June 9, 2011 at 7:00, location to be determined.
I am requiring that a student attend either three cello clubs, or one cello club and one Morning Matinee in order to play on the end of the year recital.
The November cello club will be free, but after that there will be a $5.00 charge for each time. There will be a $10.00 charge for the Morning Matinee performance to cover the cost of the accompanist, and a $25.00 charge for the end of the year recital.
I am hoping these will be a valuable addition to the regular lessons, and fun as well. Please let me know how your child is enjoying these activities!
Let's have a note-able year!!